Sunday, July 11, 2010

Day 23 - Giving Love

"O divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand; to be loved as to love. For it is in giving that we receive; it is in pardoning that we are pardoned; and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life."  
-St. Francis of Assisi

So recently I've been so very concerned about my relationship with my boyfriend; concerned that he does not possess all the things that I need.  Is he strong enough in his faith to keep mine strong?  Does he consume his time focused on things that I also care about?  Does he have the same interests as me?  Soon I found myself in a spiral of thoughts convincing myself that my boyfriend is not good enough for me.  In this tornado of negative thoughts, I kept digging myself deeper and deeper into thoughts of things he should be doing for me.  I can imagine how I am driving him crazy telling him all these things he needs to be for me!  How self-consumed I have become!!

Today God spoke to my heart and I discovered that I have been asking all the wrong questions.  I should be asking: "How can my faith benefit him?"; "What can I do to focus on the things that he likes?";  "What can I show interest in that he is interested in?";  "Am I being good enough for him?"

So from now on, I will put him before myself.  Providing him with understanding and love. And asking him, "What can I do today to make you happy?"  And giving him a hug for free, not looking for anything in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment