Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Day 22 - Innocence

Innocence... today I found God's love in the innocence of children.

Today was another day at summer camp as a camp counselor in the hot sun, beaming down on me and my sweat stained clothes.  I tried to find some peace and relaxation from the screaming, misbehaved children on a bench under the shade of an oak tree.  Ahh... peace and quiet.

The children streamed by me:
"Becky, she's touching me." 
"Becky, do you want to play tag?" 
"Becky, when's lunch?"

Some of them were playing pretend.  This one child spoke out among the rest, "Becky, here's a letter for you," as he handed me a pretend letter in his empty hand. 

I grabbed this pretend letter from the child and asked "What does it say?" 

The child read the letter aloud "I love you." 

Curiously I needed to know, "Who's it from?"
 
The child replied, " I don't know.  I'm just the mailman."

I responded, "I must have a secret admirer." 

Then another child that had been standing off to the side in silence observing this pretend conversation spoke up, "The letter is from Jesus."

And so it was I received a letter from Jesus today that read "I love you."  I may not have it in the palm of my hand, but I could see it on the smiles of the faces of the children, I could feel it in my heart, and it was all because of a child's innocence.

No comments:

Post a Comment