Saturday, February 20, 2010

Day 6 - "Kind words are short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truely endless." Mother Theresa


About 6 months ago, I wrote a Thank-you note to a colleague of mine. I wanted that person to know how much I appreciated their hard-work and dedication. I also wrote that I appreciated all the times that they were there to help me out when I was going through a hard time. I guess I wrote the note to them, because I know what it feels like to be appreciated for doing such a good job! Also this colleague of mine and I didn't always get along. He seemed to be so full of negativity most of the time, so I figured he could use an uplifting message in his life. When I was finished with the note, I put it in an envelope and placed it in his mailbox. And neither of us said a word about it until now.

Just yesterday this colleague of mine sought me out to talk to me. I felt a little concerned, because I wasn't sure why he wanted to see me. Then he began telling me, "I was having a really awful day yesterday, possibly one of the worst," he said. I could see the sadness in his eyes. Then he pulled out from behind his back a blue colored card with pink polka dots scattered across the front of it, and I knew exactly what it was. My face lit up with joy as a realized it was the Thank-you note that I wrote him months ago that I honestly had forgotten about. He said to me, "I was cleaning out my mailbox yesterday when I found this note that you had written me, and it really changed my day. I have been having such a hard time almost to the point of hurting myself, and it was your note that turned everything around for me." I could see the pain and sadness in his face, and I knew that it was really hard for him to make the effort to tell me how much that note really meant to him. He has always been the type to joke around and never really have the strength to talk about his feelings. I smiled as I told him that I was really happy that he let me know how much my note meant to him, and that I could be there for him.

Right after I spoke to him, I thought to myself that God has used me in ways that I'm not even aware of. I had no idea when I wrote that Thank-you note that it would have the power to save someone's life. Mother Theresa was a wise woman when she said, "Kind words are short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." I can't imagine how many times I have hesitated to write someone a thank-you note or let someone know what a great job they are doing out of fear of embarrassment. But Mother Theresa is right, kind words are just as easy to say as unkind words are; but it's the kind words that reach people's souls and empower everyone around them to echo those kinds words endlessly. I have decided that that's the last time I'll hesitate to write someone a thank-you note, or let someone know that they are doing a good job. You have no idea what it could mean to that person.



1 comment: