Thursday, February 18, 2010

Day 5 - God, Is that You?

I had the most miraculous thing happen to me that hasn't happened in a while. I have a feeling it has to do with this journey that I'm on searching for God's presence in my life. But the weird thing is God didn't show up where I expected him to. I'd expect to see God in other people that I come across day by day or in nature. But God always works in ways that I least expect Him to. Would you believe me if I told you that God was in my dream last night? At first I couldn't believe it either.

The dream:
I was sitting at the dinning room table at this unfamiliar house with a few other people watching this large, black woman cooking dinner. I was in awe of this black woman. The way that she talked was so charismatic and the things she said were brilliant. I remember her standing over the stove talking about the food that she feeds her children, as if she was giving us a lesson on how much food to feed our children. She said, "You don't want to make them too much food because they will become greedy and ungrateful for what they are given. On the other hand, you don't want to feed them too little because they will starve." Then the other black women in the room cheered in agreement, "Hmhm ain't that right!" I continued to sit there in silence waiting to learn the next thing that this wise, black lady had to say. Then she brought out a plate of tomatoes that looked so delicious that I wanted to eat them all. One woman at the table asked her where she got the tomatoes. By this point, I was sitting on the edge of my seat listening to find out where I could get these marvelous tomatoes. Then the lady said easily that she grew them herself. And I was amazed by what a marvelous job she did of growing the tomatoes.

Placed at the table was all of my favorite foods: mashed potatoes, gravy, turkey, turkey sandwiches with lettuce and tomatoes, and corn. I began filling my plate up with all the food that I cared to consume. Then the large black lady started telling the group, "There are many children in the world that don't have enough to eat, so take enough to share it with them." Then I started thinking about all the children that I work with and come in contact with so I scooped some more food on my plate for some of them. Then I remember looking around at those sitting at the table. I recognized the woman sitting across from me. She was a Sister of Charity from my school who looked just as much as in awe of what this black woman had to say as I did. We looked at eachother and both of us looked confused about why we had to put more food on our plates, but we both did it because we were just in awe of the wisdom of this black woman.
Then I woke up. I felt so relaxed and peaceful, like the first time that I came to know God. The first thing that came to my mind when I woke up was that this large, black woman in my dream was God. I came to this realization because in the book that I am reading, The Shack, a character in the book is a large, black woman who is the representation of God. I was pretty amazed that God would show himself to me in one of my dreams. It has never happened to me before.

Then I thought if God is coming to me in my dreams He must be trying to tell me something. I tried to figure out what this dream really could mean. I asked myself Who does God really want me to feed? Like the children in Haiti? Or does the food represent something too? Like God's love and kindness. As if God filled me up with the food that I needed and then some, so that I could share his love and kindness with His children. Maybe God wants to take the love that he has given me and share it with the children I work with?

Does anyone have any insights? What do you think this dream may mean?

I am just in awe that God showed his presence to me in a dream! That is really amazing. Thank-you God :) I love you!


No comments:

Post a Comment