Thursday, June 16, 2011

Day 28 - Beautiful Things

 "Beautiful Things" by Gungor



Have you ever been in a place in your life when you had no idea what lies ahead of you and all you can do is put your trust in the Lord?

About two weeks ago, I was in that place.  The place of uncertainty, anxiety, confusion, and doubt.  I was planning my graduation from the University of Cincinnati's graduate school of Social Work.  I was reaching that point when finally all these years of education have finally come to an end.  And I was asking myself "now what?"  I have been in school since I was five years of age.  I have had a few part time jobs here and there.  I have also had my practicum placements for social work.  Yet I have never had a full job before.  I had a moment when I realized all this hard work, all the long hours studying, writing, reading, and learning has finally come to an end.  And now I must put all this knowledge to use for the common good. Ekk.. that's huge!

So I started where any college grad would start:  I searched for jobs; anything and everything that met my qualifications.  I became completely discouraged.  I went on two job interviews and didn't get either of the positions. Not that I completely passionate about getting those jobs anyway.  I really wanted to be a school social worker and there were no positions available.

And then all it came down to was God.  I completely handed my future over to Him.  I said to God, "I don't know what lies ahead of me, but God my future is Yours.  I trust You more than I trust myself with my future, because You know what's best for me."  God simply replied giving me a peaceful heart and a reminder to remain patient because He would do things in His own time.

About a week later, I ran into a school social worker at the school I worked.  We had barely spoken to each other before this point in time.  We discussed my graduation and job prospects.  Before I knew it she was recruiting me for a school social worker position at a nearby charter school.  She had this job lined up for herself and it didn't work out.  She highly recommended me to the principal putting her reputation on the line, told me that she would train me over the summer, and said she would be my mentor during the school year.  Most of all she told me she was a Christian!  I immediately told her I was praying for a job and this one just fell into place.  "It was an opportunity of opportunities," I told her, "It was a miracle I came across this position and you are my angel."

Right before I went on the interview for the position, I was nervous.  I arrived to the interview early and sat in my car for a few minutes praying asking God for courage, strength, and light.  During my prayer, "Beautiful Things" by Gungor came on the radio.  It was the first time I had heard the song.  And I kept hearing "You make beautiful things, you make beautiful things out of us" repeating through my speakers.  A flood of emotions swept over me.  I was at a moment with God when my family's history of abuse and depression flashed before my eyes.  Then I flashed to the person I have become because of God.  I was sitting in a car with my resume listing all of my accomplishments: Master's Degree, School Social Worker License, Social Work License, Bachelor's Degree Summa Cum Laude.  All of these beautiful things God had blessed me with prepared me for that moment in time to interview for a school social worker position to change, inspire, and impact the lives of hundreds of children.  God had truly made beautiful things out of the dust of me.  I got out of that car confident in who I am because of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment