Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Day 13- Searching for the Four Leaf Clover

Happy St. Patrick's Day.  It's a day full of Irish Catholic traditions: wearing green, drinking green beer, leprechauns, finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, and the lucky four leaf clover.  I wonder if some of these traditions have more meaning to them, especially the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and a lucky four leaf clover.

Well, when I woke up today and realized that it is St. Patrick's Day, I thought to myself maybe I will have a lucky day.  I just have to find a four leaf clover.  Looking at this idea now there is some symbolism to the four leaf clover for my life.  I have to look for the good things in my life in the sea of green clovers (bad luck).  Recently, I feel like I'm having the worst of luck.  Just yesterday I was at work and I decided to go to Subway to get some lunch, like any other day.  As I get back into my car to drive back to work, my engine wouldn't start.  A little anxious about the situation, I decided to walk back to work which was only a block away and of course call my dad for assistance.  After work my dad took a look at my car, tried to jump the battery, and no luck.  We had to have my car towed.  It was so sad watching the tow-man putting my little Saturn that has been there for me through all these years on the tow truck.  Then I became really stressed out trying to find rides everywhere last night and today.  I suddenly realized that I have taken my car for granted.  On top of all this, I am kinda homeless.  My mom is out of town for a couple of days and I cannot stay at the house alone for reasons I cannot mention.  Not only have I had to rely on others for a place to live, but I have also had to rely on others to drive me place to place.  I suddenly feel like I'm a child again and solely dependent on others.  This scared me because I will be graduating from college soon, and I will be forced to become an independent adult.  Honestly, right now I feel like I am definately not capable of living independently.

Once I started to think about this whole idea that I must be an independent woman, I realized God did not intend for me to live independently.  It is my Western culture that has socialized me to believe that in order to be successful, I have to be independent.  Well.. this is God slapping me in the face telling me that I can't do it on my own and I need others in my life.  I guess my four leaf clover today is the other people in my life that have graciously let me depend on them to live in their homes, eat their food, and drive me to where I need to be. Without them I would be homeless, alone, hungry, tired, dirty, and stranded.  After-all on St. Patrick's day, I have found my four leaf clover in my family and friends.  I am lucky to have people in my life that love me enough to help me out when I need it the most.

Happy St. Patrick's Day! What's your four leaf clover today?

No comments:

Post a Comment